Tuesday, August 21, 2012

grain-free granola


I eat granola every. single. day.  I have a routine that involves incorporating berries, kefir or greek yogurt (for probiotics) and nuts and seeds every morning or at least once during the day.  I have shamelessly spent the money on gluten-free granola many times, while not really enjoying it either.  I don't like a lot of fillers like oats and sugar.  So one day, I decided it was time to make my own granola recipe.  After playing with it a few times, I think I finally nailed it.  I can't believe how simple it was!  I have finally met the perfect bowl of granola!




First I rounded up all my ingredients.  You can tell I'm a Trader Joe's fan, right?


Next I took a portion of nuts and chopped them coarse with one pulse.  You can also do this using a knife.  This is going to be what holds your bar together... rather than oats.  Or if you like oats, you could always add them instead.


Then I went a head and combined all of the nuts.  I personally like to chop up a handful of almonds and pecans using two or three pulses.  This gives the bars a LOT of texture.  You want different sizes and pieces of nuts.


My girls LOVE strawberries... especially a particular almost 4 year old of mine :)  I found dried strawberries at Trader Joe's.  I gave these a quick whirl.  You can do this with any dried fruit.  Last week I made apricot almond & coconut bars. 


Here are said strawberries mixed in with the nuts, cinnamon, chia seeds & I also threw in some unsweetened coconut flakes here.  No?  I promise it's in there.  I think I stirred it before I took the pic.  Scouts honor.  What's that?  Yes, Girl Scout... well, I think I was a Brownie once.  Mmmm... brownies...  

Ok, so this is going to be the glue that holds it together.  Quote:
 "Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue" — Anne Lamott  Sticky grace, that's what I need. :)  Now, lets add the coconut oil over medium heat.  Then vanilla, coconut sugar and honey.  Just warm it for a few minutes.  DO NOT let it boil over.   


Pour mixture over nuts and stir really well.


I doubled my recipe and made another batch with dried blueberries, cherries & golden raisins.  Things just got serious...


 So, I placed the parchment paper down, then spread the granola out and press down HARD with another piece of parchment paper.  Press harder.  Harder!!  Ok that's good. ;)


 It should look awesome like mine.  Next, pop them in the oven...


...And the smell coming out of the oven is pretty amazing.  (If you like chewy bars, I would go 10 minutes less on the timer.  I made one of both.  My kids love the chewy ones!)


Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to an hour and then cut into bars.  


What fruit and nut combos can you come up with?  The possibilities are endless!


Grain-Free Granola Bar Recipe

Makes 12-16 bars

1 1/2 cups of raw (or roasted) almonds
1 1/2 cups of sliced almonds
1 1/2 cups of raw pecans
1 cup of dried fruit (chopped if needed)
1 cup of unsweetened coconut
3 table spoons of chia seeds
1 table spoon of cinnamon (optional)
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
2/3 cups of local honey
1/4 cups of coconut sugar
2 tablespoons of gluten free vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees and adjust rack to the middle.  Line an 11"x7" baking pan with parchment paper.

Take about a 1/2 cup of almonds and a 1/2 cup of pecans and coarse chop them in the food processor.  Place in a large bowl.  Next, take a handful of the batch of whole almonds and pecans and pulse them once or twice in the food processor.  Place those and the rest of the nuts in the large bowl.  Now mix in the dried fruit, coconut, seeds, cinnamon, and salt.  Set aside.

In a saucepan, warm the coconut oil on medium heat until melted.  Next stir in the coconut sugar and honey until hot and fluid.  Add vanilla and stir.  DO NOT let boil.  Take off heat, let cool for a couple minutes and then pour into granola mixture.  If mixture is too dry add a little more honey.  Mix thoroughly and spread onto parchment paper.  Take another piece of parchment and press down on the granola very hard until firm.  Place in oven for 30 minutes, 20 minutes for chewy bars.  Take granola out of oven and allow to cool, then refrigerate for 30 min to 1 hour.  Very important... if you try to cut them without cooling them down they will fall apart. Cut into bars and seal in an airtight container for up to 10 days.  Eat on the go, crumble over yogurt or almond milk, whatever you wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment