Monday, June 23, 2014

weekend project: metal clay

So this year has been all about confronting my fears.


In the past, I had spent years yearning to take my metal smithing skills up to the next level.  Things like torches, kilns, chemicals, etc. freaked me out just a little.  I was nervous to invest all the money in equipment and really go for it.  At the beginning of this year, I decided it was time to "step out of the boat".  It was finally time to pursue with all my heart, and get out of my small business mentality.

Since doing so, I've had some incredible opportunities open up for me.  I can't disclose yet, maybe even not until next year, but trust me- some exciting things are ahead for Modern Mama Jewelry!  I know with out a doubt that those doors opened because I decided to face those fears, pick up a torch, try some new techniques & push outside my comfort zone.


So this summer, I decided to designate a couple hours on the weekend to learning new tools, techniques, different materials, and trying my hand at something adventurous.  I've been calling it my "weekend project".  Just another way to actively keep me on my toes and facing my fears.

This weekend, I've FINALLY experimented with PMC.  Gosh, like finally.  I can't tell you how long I have wanted to use it.  Like 7 years.  So silly!  I've watched countless Youtube videos over the years and could tell you exactly how to use it.  And you know what?  It was as easy as I thought.  Just took a little courage.

Here's my first project:
Precious Metal Clay sculpted monogram pendant

I am sooo hooked!  I've already started cold molding and casting using metal clay, and I think there will be some new lovelies that will be visiting the shop soon!  Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment