Wednesday, April 30, 2014

pirate party




I love making my kids' birthdays special.  It's funny how children get enamored with something for a while.  That's when I try to take mental notes for their birthday parties.

 Last year my son was totally obsessed with Mickey Mouse.   We decided to go to Disney that summer.  While at Magic Kingdom, he went on the Peter Pan ride for the first time.  He absolutely loved it!   Since then, it's been all about Peter Pan, Neverland, and pirates!  He literally dresses up as a pirate everyday.  It's so adorable.  Anyway, here is what I came up with for his party:




The cake was so simple.  It was one box of GF brownie mix & another box of GF chocolate cake mix mixed together.  I baked them in two 9x13 pans.  Make sure you really grease it up or use parchment paper, so it can pop out with no trouble! 

Once cooled, I cut the sides off to make it more boxy looking.  Use those sides as wedges and place on the top of the first layer in the back of the cake.  Then set the second layer on top.  It should look like it's opened.  I also wedged a few on the sides for extra support.  I found that the brownie mix helped solidify the cake so it wouldn't break apart during this process.

I then frosted it with a homemade, chocolate buttercream frosting & set the chocolate coins &  jewels inside, and used white chocolate chips for decorating.



We did pirate dress up, face paint, treasure hunts, a pirate ship piñata & bounced in the bouncy house.  He was totally thrilled and still talks about it! 


















No comments:

Post a Comment