Thursday, October 18, 2012

gf/ vegan salted caramel & apple oatmeal cookies


We go apple picking in the mountains every fall.  About three years ago, I was trying to come up with some recipes to get rid of all the apples!  Somehow we came up with oatmeal apple cookies!  So it's been a tradition to make these cookies, however, they needed somethin' {ahem} sweet.  I would use whatever candies I've had on hand, butterscotch chips, Heath toffee chips... but this year, we stumbled on to salted caramels!  Whoa.



Here's the line up.


I measured out some gf oats.


Then I threw in the oat flour.


And, I had my little helper help with the salt.  "Let your speech at all times be gracious (pleasant and winsome), seasoned [as it were] with salt..." Colossians 4:6 AMP  ... Yes, indeed, she helps me with salt daily.  How can someone so little be so much like me, already?  It is often our likeness that causes some clashing.  That being, I know what her little heart needs... and sometimes, it is the hardest to give what you needed as a child... but often did not receive.  This is a learning curve for me.  To respond in speech, seasoned with salt.  Not serving someone words out of the oven {of our mouth}, but first tasting it, and taking the time to see if it is seasoned just right for them.  Salt can either be poured, or shaken out of us, and moderation is key.


... and so, the rest of the baking soda, powder...


Do a quick mix.


Instead of eggs, I'm going to add a "flax egg".  One table spoon flax meal...


In a separate bowl, mix the butter and sugar & 1-2 table spoons of water for the "flax egg".  If you don't want a "flax egg," you would just add your egg with this mixture.  I used regular organic butter... it was all I had, however, you can make this recipe vegan by using vegan butter, or even coconut oil.



Mix the ingredients together...


Oops! Forgot to add the vanilla!


Then, chop the caramel candies up into little squares.  If I could do this over, I may refrigerate them for a few minutes to make them a little firmer.  After a while, the warmth from my fingers began to make them pretty sticky!


Fold in caramels, or mix for a few seconds on super low.


Now fold the apples in...


The batter should be crumbly... yet, wet enough to roll into balls...


...like so!


Now we just need to squash them flat!


Here they are fresh out of the oven.  Mmmm.


I like to eat these with a nice cold glass of vanilla almond milk, sitting out on my porch enjoying the lovely fall breeze.  Take some time today to take in this season and give thanks for simple pleasures!  Enjoy!



Gluten Free/Vegan Salted Caramel & Apple Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 cups of GF oat flour
1 1/2 cups of GF old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cups of coconut sugar
3/4 cups of organic brown sugar, packed
6 tablespoons of vegan butter or coconut oil
2 teaspoons of GF vanilla extract
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal, & 1-2 tablespoons of water)
1 cup of chopped apples
3/4 cup of caramel bits (chopped) or Heath toffee chips (confession: I added a little of both!) 


Directions

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. 2. Spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl; stir well.
  3. 3. Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and flax egg; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture; beat at low speed until just combined. Fold in apple and caramel bits.
  4. 4. Drop dough by 2 teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Flatten balls slightly with hand. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment